Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Hockey

Growing up, hockey was my life. I didn't start until I was 7 which meant I was 3 years behind everyone else and the one tripping over the sticks I was supposed to jump over and skidding into the boards I was supposed to avoid. On top of that I perfected the backwards non skate and the flutter slap shot. For most people, that would have been enough of a sign that basketball's a good sport too, but I just couldn't quit, I loved the game that much. The universal smell of the rink, the crisp air on my face, the electricity felt from of a tape to tape pass and the euphoria of a shot in the top corner. As a kid, I didn't even care if we won as long as we played. As time passed others disagreed. Winning was the point and pasting people into the boards drew the cheers. The last two years of my hockey career involved me kissing the boards and dreading the games. I quit, defeated at 15, and took up basketball instead.

17 years later, opportunity knocked and I was pleased to discover the electritcy had never left. Playing against guys who hadn't taken a break, the first few months nearly killed me but as time passed my legs got with the program and I began to remember how the game was supposed to be played. By the end of the season I no longer stood out in a bad way, well, not as often. This season is over but as long as my legs keep working, I'm hooked for life.

Speaking of hooked, is it just me or is the NHL 1o times faster and grittier then ever before. I've watched nearly every Canuck game and all the Caps/Penguins games and man, the speed, the passes, the hits, the shots. Its almost hard to believe the players are human and not some digitized game. Watching Ovechkin, Backstrom, Crosby and Malkin go head to head is mind blowing. I know I'm a biased prairie Canadian boy but I just can't understand how hockey, especially playoff hockey, isn't more popular. The TV ratings continue to suck in the US, even here in Canada, and it just boggles my mind. Granted, hockey has become more of a business in recent years but still the product is exciting if not addicting.

Angie for one, just can't get into it. She tries, but a few minutes pass before she's reaching for something, anything else to occupy her attention. I bug her asking sarcastically if she has a heart beat but she just smiles and says "they're all overpaid." I get it, I guess. But still, I can't help but think if we're Canadians, we have no choice. Hockey's in our blood. Its the one thing that unites us, no matter our race, religion, or political views. Yes, all the Canadian teams are out, but still, there's a ton of Canadians still playing, just on other teams.

I don't care if you love hockey, hate it or are so indifferent you almost didn't read this because its about hockey, I challenge each and every one of you to watch Game 7 between the Penguins and Captials tomorrow night. The game involves 4 of the top players in the world and they're all laying it out for one shot at the cup. Winner moves on, loser goes home. Every game leading up to this has been incredible, 4 have been decided by overtime. Ovechkin vs. Crosby. It'll be one for the ages! Some would even say ELECTRIC.

John

No comments:

Post a Comment